Overall, cats are pretty low maintenance. Compared to dogs, they are fairly independent, sleep a lot, and don’t impose a lot of demands. But if there is one major daily hassle to being a cat owner, it is dealing with shedding! Cat hair gets everywhere—on carpets, furnishings, even on drapes. Not only that, it also sticks everywhere and a regular vacuum cleaner can have a hard time lifting it off.
So, what is the best vacuum cleaner for cat hair? I was so frustrated with my own cat hair issues around the house that I decided to put multiple vacuums to the test so I could solve the problem once and for all. In this guide, I will introduce you to some of the top vacuums for cat hair that are currently on the market.
But first, let’s go over some features which are important to look for when you are shopping for a vacuum for cat hair.
Features to Look for in the Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Hair
When shopping for a vacuum specifically to pick up cat hair and dander, here are some key considerations:
- Dimensions and weight. The more compact and portable a vacuum is, the easier it will be for you to use it to clean up cat hair anywhere in your home.
- Cordless design. Like a compact build, the lack of a cord can make a vacuum easier to use than a corded one. That being said, corded models tend to be more affordable and feature other benefits, so either can be a good investment.
- Useful attachments. Check to see whether the attachments which come with the vacuum you are considering will help you pick up cat hair. A couple of examples of useful attachments include crevice tools and upholstery tools.
- HEPA filter. If you can find a vacuum that includes a HEPA filter, you can count on it to pull up allergens. Vacuums without high-quality filters may simply spread allergens around rather than absorbing them.
- Suction. The most important feature of a vacuum cleaner for cat hair is simply that it has the power it needs to actually lift that stubborn hair off your carpets and upholstery.
- Value. The best vacuum cleaner for cat hair probably will not be the least expensive, but nor will it be the priciest model out there. It will be the one which gives you the best bang for your buck. Consider the price and the features of a vacuum when deciding which to purchase.
Top Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Hair
Now that we have talked about what to look for in a high-quality vacuum cleaner for cat hair, let’s go over some recommended products.
Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum
The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Vacuum works on both carpet and hard floors. As the name indicates, it was designed especially for pet owners. With an upright mode and above-floor mode, you can use it to reach just about any surface.
Consider this vacuum cleaner if you have a cat that likes to crawl underneath chairs or sofas. The Powered Lift-Away Mode and LED lights will help you remove hair from these hard-to-reach spots without having to move your furniture.
I also recommend this product if you have allergies since it includes a HEPA filter. One of my children has a very mild allergy to dander and has been almost asymptomatic since we started using this vacuum.
- This vacuum includes a special Pet Power Brush Mode which is ideal for removing pet hair, dander, dirt and more from upholstery and pillows.
- With its HEPA filter, this product is great for those who have allergies.
- Change modes on the fly using the fingertip controls.
- There are a couple of great features for getting under furniture. The first of these is the Powered Lift-Away Mode. With it, you can extend the cleaner head reach at full power. The vacuum is also equipped with LED lights so that you can see what you are doing.
- This is not the most lightweight vacuum on the market.
Cleanview Swivel Rewind + Hand Vacuum
Next on our list of recommendations is the Cleanview Swivel Rewind + Hand Vacuum. This is another product manufactured with pet owners in mind. You can purchase it with or without the hand vac, but I recommend getting both. It is a great value, and the hand vac can be very helpful in terms of getting hard-to-reach places.
If you have a cat that sheds like crazy and you need to clean daily, the Cleanview Swivel Rewind + Hand Vacuum is an excellent choice. The automatic winding on the cord means you can save time and hassle when you put away the vacuum each day.
Also, make your choice based on how you like to vacuum. You will notice that if you press down too hard on the carpet while using the vacuum, the plastic flaps can get in the way of the suction. But with practice, you can avoid this issue.
- This product is engineered with scatter-free technology and a triple action brush roll. This ensures that even if cat hair is embedded in carpet or upholstery, the vacuum will be able to lift it free.
- The automatic rewinding on the cord makes it a breeze to neatly put away your vacuum cleaner each day, perfect for frequent cleanings.
- When you purchase this vacuum, BISSELL donates to the BISSELL pet foundation on your behalf.
- The design of the rotary includes plastic flaps rather than brushes.
EyeVac Home: Professional Clean for The Home – Touchless Stationary Vacuum
The EyeVac Home Touchless Stationary Vacuum is a simple solution for keeping wood, tile and other hard floors clear of cat hair. As a stationary vacuum, you set it up somewhere convenient in the room you want to keep clean (like the kitchen). When cat hair gets on the floor, you use a broom to sweep it toward the vacuum, which then sucks it up.
As a touchless vacuum, this product allows you to use a broom instead of a vacuum, which means a lot less hassle. But it also eliminates the problem of dirt and hair that won’t go into a dustpan when you sweep entirely by hand. The vacuum gets all the dirt and hair.
So, you should think about choosing this vacuum if you have hard floors to keep clean in one or more rooms of your home, and are used to sweeping up a lot after your cat. This product can save you a considerable amount of time and energy.
In fact, I also would recommend this product if you have back or neck pain. I used to sweep up litter in our kitchen with a dustpan by hand, and all that bending over aggravated my pain issues. Now, I don’t have to bend down like that, thanks to this vacuum. Sometimes that can spare me from some major migraines.
- Chances are good that you feed your cat in your kitchen. You might also have your litter box located there or in another room with a hard floor. You can use this vacuum to easily clean up food and litter along with hair and dirt.
- The vacuum works automatically. When you get close to it with the broom, the infrared sensors activate it.
- With 1,000 watts of power and two high-efficiency filters, the vacuum brings you the powerful performance you need for a clean floor.
- The product is available in four different color combinations to match your décor.
- You have to be pretty precise with sweeping toward the suction point. Some brooms seem to struggle with this for whatever reason.
Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum
The Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum is the pet version of the Dirt Devil Razor vacuum which comes with a pet tool called TURBOCLAW™. With swivel steering, it is easy to maneuver, and you can use it on both hard floors and carpeting.
The Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum is a great all-round option if you need a vacuum that has a small, lightweight profile. So, you might consider it if your cat has free rein over a large house with a lot of rooms.
If you have a long-haired cat, you might notice that the hair can get stuck in the brush now and again. This isn’t a major drawback though. Checking on it regularly and cleaning it out is all it takes to keep the vacuum functioning at its best.
- The Spin4Pro Premium Pet Brushroll does an excellent job on multiple types of floors and is designed to be especially effective at cleaning up pet hair. If you encounter a job that the brush roll can’t handle on its own, the TURBOCLAW™ Pet Tool extension is perfect to use on stairs and upholstery.
- This compact, lightweight vacuum is easy to take anywhere in your house. It also comes with a 10-foot cleaning wand so that you can clean under furnishings or reach up to high surfaces.
- With both a primary filter and an exhaust filter, this product is able to absorb dirt and danger without circulating them back into your environment.
- Longer cat hairs can sometimes get stuck in the brush.
Cleaning Up Cat Hair is Easy With the Right Vacuum Cleaner
If your current vacuum cleaner isn’t cutting it, cleaning up cat hair each day can feel like an impossible chore. But with the right vacuum in hand, it can be easy to keep your carpet, furnishings, drapes, and bedding clean and free of cat hair. Soon, you can look forward to clean floors and surfaces!